Subject: 3D Design
‘A better life through design’
In Design we encourage students to become autonomous and creative problem solvers, both as individuals and as part of a team. It enables them to identify needs and opportunities and to respond by developing ideas and making products. Design allows students to combine practical skills with an understanding, of aesthetic, social and environmental issues, as well as functions and industrial practises. This allows them to reflect on and evaluate present and past design, its uses and its impacts.
The contributions Design brings to the curriculum are:
• To be innovative and willing to take risks when designing and making.
• To ask questions and keep asking questions.
• Be aware of current issues e.g. SMSC and how Design operates within the environment and society.
• Appreciate that there isn’t always a clear answer or one answer.
• Enables students to work creatively and collaboratively.
• Independent learning that leads to problem solving.
• Allow the students to build up knowledge and skills of materials and processes.
The contributions Food brings to the curriculum are:
• Present opportunities for students to learn life skills.
• To understand the importance for hygiene and safety.
• To encourage a healthy nutritious diet through informed choices.
GCSE course offered
Students work on a range of projects which encourage them to generate and explore their own responses to design problems. Students will complete 1 project from each of the following areas…
• Branding & Advertising
• Information & Instruction
All 4 projects will be presented as a coursework portfolio and represents 60% of the overall GCSE grade. At the end of Year 11, students will receive an externally set project (40% towards their final grade) for which they will have 9 weeks preparation and 10 hours (2 x 5 hour days) to complete a final product.
Each project will start with a short design brief from which students are expected to produce 4 design sheets as well as final pieces. A strong emphasis is placed on the use of computer graphics and in particular the use of Adobe Photoshop, but students are equally encouraged to work by hand and in 3D if desired.
Where can additional information about the curriculum be found?
Project PowerPoints, worksheets and help sheets are available on the VLE